Friday, April 26, 2013

Drop In A Bucket.


Part of my time at the Seminary has been to volunteer in the library.
I have been given so many gifts here that I wanted to give back a little
bit.  Since they are moving the campus to Amsterdam there is
much work to do downsizing the library.

In my imagination I had a big idea of what a help I could be in this.
But I have been assigned, like a monk, a small tedious job that I
cannot really mess up but has no use for any brain.  I have been
given the task of removing files from the computer of "discarded"
books and periodicals.  It is literally removing, through a three step
process, computer records, sixty records at a time.  I need to
check as I do this that these records are not assigned to the system
in another place.  My hand and shoulder hurt from the hours of clicking
my mouse.

My second task is to take the old card system-shelf list and tear out
the cards for some of the thousands of books given, sold, discarded.  The
library has to downsize by more than half of their collection.  So on I
go book by book on the shelves, throwing out what is not there.

When I think about the "few" hours I have been able to give, and the
enormity of the mountain of work, I sigh.  My little service is the
proverbial drop in a bucket. 
And yet, I think about that some more.  Like the Monks with the
begging bowl, accepting the work you are given to do, even though
for a short time, can be a teacher.  Being grateful daily about what
is being offered to you, be it help or work or food, is a teaching.

I accept that this is not great work, but necessary work.  I accept
that for this week I have been given a task, not of my choosing and
not considered important work, but a helpful drop. 

That is really what we bring to the world is it not?  Our attitudes, our
hands and our hearts.  And in the scheme of the world's time and
generations, we are like a breath, right?  So this week my breath
has deleted computer files, and some other dear person's breath has
been spent lecturing, some others healing and the circle continues.

Each of us, has to decide how best to serve as that drop of water
in a the very vast bucket.  I am truly thankful for this opportunity to
"vaya con dios."

Joanne

No comments: