Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Centre City.


Thursday, April 18

Today, I have gotten lost for two hours in the Central City.  Even with a map I am lost.  Keep
looking at the names on the buildings and streets, there are two names really and I believe
I find my bearings only to go around in different circles.  I have blisters on the bottoms of my
feet which is a new experience that makes it that much more painful, to be lost.

I find a Cathedral and go and sit down in the cold, out of the sunny heat.  I am tired and
frustrated and feel kind of stupid.  I feel I should be able to find my way.  To make matters
worse this particular Cathedral is not on the map.  I wonder, how can that be?  I think about
what it means to be safe?

It is an interesting thing to be in a situation where you have absolutely no choice but to
keep trying.  I cannot "phone a friend" as it were and ask for the answer to my question.
I cannot speak to the police as most do not know English.  I have seen no offices of
Tourism or "help" desks, so after my rest in the church, in the cold, I have to go back
out into the sun, the heat, my blisters and being lost.  I stubbornly refuse to panic.
And I keep hearing Gail in my head, "Vaya con Dios", go with God.  I remember that
I am not, even now, alone.

After two solid hours, I find the bookstore and the Cathedral that I had set out to find
in the beginning.  I am elated.  I want to sing and dance but cannot do that in public
here without getting arrested as a crazy tourist.  I enter the town square and realize
that I am one of thousands of tourists and pilgrims in the Centre City, finding my way,
looking at art, soaking in the culture, hot, sweaty and tired.  But still I learn.

Even now I am grateful once again. J.

No comments: