Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Esther.

I have been thinking about Esther some more and the word that comes to my mind most powerfully is courage. Her courage is even hard to get your mind around. I want to say, “Wow Esther, how did you actually deal with your fear?” I wonder what she would tell us? Was it faith in God through fasting and prayer? Was it just that she knew either way it was life or death? Did her friendship with the other women with whom she lived give her the strength? I wondered this week if the other women figured out she was a Jew? Did they keep her secret for her? How did she actually feel about the King?

Is that kind of courage a gift from God only certain people are given? Can you get more courage? Can you grow courage? Would we have more courage if we fasted? Prayed together more? IF we desire more courage do we ask for it or do we gain courage by practicing facing our fears?

I would love to have a coffee sit-down with Esther. I would want to hear from her how her life prepared her for “such a time as this”. I would ask her how her women friends helped. I would ask her how she felt afterward. Maybe someday I will actually get to have a conversation with her. Regardless, I give thanks for her, for her life and courage and faith. She reminds me a lot of Mary. Both of them risk their position and their lives for something outside of themselves. Really in a sense they risk everything for us too. It humbles me. Good stories to ponder as we begin advent.


No comments: