Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Prague: Study at International Baptist Seminary

I arrived in Prague yesterday morning after a bumpy ride across the ocean, exhausted and elated at the same time. There is always the rush of the NEW, what will I encounter, with what new friends shall I share this new path for this time.

Upon arrival at the Seminary I am reminded once again how much we Westerners take for granted, space and stuff...how entitled we have come to be. At reception I am "checked" in and already communication is altered by language. How have we come to understand English as yet another form of entitlement?

I climb 54 stairs, outside, in the ice and snow with my bags,(another 30+ inside until someone shows me the elevator) to my small but comfortable room: kitchenette, single bed, wooden table with two chairs, a small wardrobe, a bathroom, the entire room about the size of my kitchen at home, but it holds everything I need for two weeks of study, prayer and renewal.

I return to the bottom of the stairs to reception to retrieve my other bag and wonder once again about "stuff" why we think it is so important to have it. I had a good friend in Michigan who truly desired to only have enough stuff to be able to carry it all in his backpack. OF course that never actually worked, but how much simpler life would be, if that is all each of us on this planet carried with them.

After three trips for stuff and for information, I have finally fallen face first into bed for much needed sleep, the first real sleep in more than 24 hours.

It is an exercise in spiritual reflection to be part of a Christian Community that is intentionally inclusive, across language and cultural custom. At prayer time this morning, there are prayers in three different languages, the only word understood by all is "Amen". So be it, or perhaps more closely translated this morning, "May it be so O God".

After prayers and more information sharing, introductions, tours, I settle into the Library.
I feel that I need a clearer objective for my time here, these themes emerge as the leading questions for my study these two weeks:
a: To listen: to the stories of those gathered around me, whomever is willing to tell me their stories, to listen to that still small voice of God through others and within my own heart.
b. To reflect and study around these two questions I borrow from resources I am reading on leadership: Is it possible in these days and time in the life of the church to be in leadership in the church and still live a healthy life? AND..."can the healed leader throw herself or himself into the task of healing the organization without once again taking on unhealthy patterns?

1 comment:

s.birkam said...

What an interesting trip/experience, I look forward to reading about it! Take Care,
Sally Birkam